In this interview, Scott Swigart, Sean Campbell, and Richard Bowler interview Phil Costa who is the Director of Product Management for Flex and ColdFusion at Adobe, with responsibility for product definition and strategy of the Flex product line. Prior to joining the Flex team, he was product manager at both Macromedia and Allaire and led XML and Internet middleware research at Giga Information Group. Phil has a Master’s degree in English from Boston University and an undergraduate degree from Swarthmore College.
In this interview, Phil talks about Adobe’s decision to open-source the Flex SDK. In specific, Phil talked about:
- Background on the Adobe Flex SDK
- Why open-source the Flex SDK
- Risks in open-sourcing the Flex SDK
- Why the MPL license was chosen
- Advantages in open-sourcing the Flex SDK
- The risks of people forking the build